Inscriptionssigned 'A.Y. JACKSON' (lower right); signed and titled, 'A.Y. Jackson / Port Joli, Que' (verso, centre); signed and inscribed by the artist, 'A.Y. Jackson / Studio Bldg Severn St. Toronto' (verso, bottom).
ProvenanceGalerie Walter Klinkhoff, Montreal, as 'Port Joli, Quebec, circa 1924';
With Kastel Gallery Inc., Montreal, as 'Port Joli, Quebec, c. 1924';
Private collection, Toronto.
In 1927, A.Y. Jackson and Dr. Frederick Banting painted at St-Jean-Port-Joli, on the south shore of the St Lawrence River. With few exceptions - notably his 1921 trip to Cacouna with Albert H. Robinson - Jackson’s early sketching trips to the lower St. Lawrence region were on the north shore. (Later, he would go to the south shore more frequently, sometimes using as a base his brother’s country home in St-Aubert, which was a few miles up the road from Port-Joli.)
Port Joli, Que, circa 1927, contains a cluster of buildings in the central middle ground and Jackson has painted the river and the dramatic landscape of the north shore in the background. The view across the river looks directly at Le Massif and Baie St Paul. The weather is bright and sunny, suggestive of the crisp conditions that Jackson recorded on that 1927 trip.
Port Joli, Que, circa 1927 a classic, luminous composition, and an idyllic representation of the landscape on the lower St. Lawrence River.