Artwork for Sale
Terrebonne, 1915 (circa)
Inscriptionssigned, 'M. Cullen' (lower right); inscribed, ‘Terrebonne P. Q’ (verso, centre).
Galerie Walter Klinkhoff Inc., Montreal as Spring, Terrebonne;Acquired from the above by the present Private Collection, June 2000.
This painting is included in the Alan Klinkhoff Gallery
Maurice Cullen Inventory, No. AK0818
manufacturer of doors and windows, a structure that burned down in 1922. The unmistakable spire of the Juvenate of the Fathers of Saint-Sacrement is visible in the distance. Other details, like the existence of a retaining wall, suggests that the painting dates after 1910.
Terrebonne is located some 30 kilometres northeast along the Rivière Mille Îles from Saint- Eustache, a region Cullen and William Brymner first discovered in 1896. In 1905, the two artists had built a shared studio at Saint-Eustache, overlooking the
Rivière du Chêne.